One of a pair of chargers with basket of flowers
Diameter: 40 cm (15 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)
The basket of flowers in the center is encircled by a border with eight reserves filled with flowers alternating with smaller oval reserves with animals.
"Aronson Antiquairs / Amsterdam"
"Collection G. Ephis / DEL 285" and on the other, "Collection G. Ephis / DEL 286"
Gilbert Lévy (dealer; b. 1884 – d. 1944), Paris [see note 1]; by descent within the family; December 10, 1996, Lévy collection sale, Etude Tajan, Hotel George V, Paris, lot 22, probably to Aronson Antiquairs (dealers), Amsterdam; 1999, sold by Aronson to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
NOTE:  Gilbert Lévy was an important porcelain collector and dealer who perished at Auschwitz. After he was deported, portions of his collection were hidden by a colleague, and were recovered after World War II by his son. Lévy’s family consigned the collection for sale in 1996.
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger