One of a pair of tea canisters
Marked by Adriaen Kocks, Dutch, Proprietor, The Greek A Factory (active 1686–1701)
Overall height: 26.5 cm (10 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Square bottle with rounded shoulders, short neck, and covers. Sides decorated with pairs of full length figures, two in front of a fence with a broad-leafed tree, two holding musical instruments flanking a low planter and standing beneath a tree with weeping branches.
Two paper labels:
"Aronson Antiquairs/Amsterdam" and "Collection G. Ephis"
Conjoined "AK" in underglaze blue on one; indistinct mark on the other.
The letter "M" in underglaze blue underneath lid.
2001, sold by Aronson Antiquairs (dealer), Amsterdam, to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger