German (Rhineland or Meuse)
last third of 12th century
2.8 x 17 cm (1 1/8 x 6 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper
Not On View
Quadrilateral plaque with two beaded edges and five tiny pinholes. Hammered, tooled, champlevé, enameled, engraved, chased, and gilded. Enamel colors are lapis blue, light blue, turquoise, white, green, yellow, and red in a mixed field of up to five colors. The central gilded panel is engraved with a rosette flanked by four tear-shaped cavities and two split palmettes. On the right, within a light-blue and white border, turquoise lozenges enclose full and demi-rosettes in a mixed field of (from the center out) red, turquoise, lapis blue, light blue, and white. A similar light-blue and white border on the left surrounds reserved discs containing eight-petaled rosettes with turquoise and red central circles. Green and yellow petals with red centers alternate with lapis-blue, light-blue, and white ones. Facing trefoil leaves in a mixed field of red, lapis blue, turquoise, light blue, and white fill the interstices between the discs.
By 1935, Henri Garnier, Lille [see note 1]; September 21, 1936, sold by Garnier to Joseph Brummer, New York (stock no. P13126); 1947, sold by Brummer to the MFA for $1200. (Accession Date: November 13, 1947)
 See "Exposition de Notre-Dame des Ardents et du Calvaire d'Arras dans l'Art et le Folklore" (Arras, June 16 - August 1, 1935), cat. no. 154.
Juliana Cheney Edwards Collection