Pair of double gourd-shaped bottles
Made by Het Jonge Moriaanshooft (The Young Moor's Head) Factory (active 1650–1700), Marked by Rochus Jacobsz. Hoppesteyn (Dutch, active 1686–1692)
Overall height: 48 cm (18 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)
Pair of large double gourd-shaped bottles decorated with four and three reserves, respectively, separated by vertical bands decorated with rocks, flowers and insects on a blue and white ground.
Two labels on the underside of each:
"Aronson Antiquairs / Amsterdam"
"Collection G. Ephis"
Conjoined RH on underside of base of each
2000, sold by Aronson Antiquairs (dealer), Amsterdam, to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger