Pair of spurs (espuelas)
Object Place: Argentina
24 x 10.4 x 7 cm (9 7/16 x 4 1/8 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
William J. Fitzgerald Gallery (Gallery 135)
A pair of silver and iron spurs. A cast-leaf design forms the frame support for an iron rowel. An applied foliate design appears on the arch.
Spurs such as these were common in the late nineteenth century. Variations are still being made today.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
Collected in Buenos Aires, Argentina, by Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves between 1898 and 1913.
Gift of Miss Ellen Graves, Mrs. Samuel Cabot and Mrs. Roger Ernst in memory of their father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves