Pair of tulip vases
Marked by Adriaen Kocks, Dutch, Proprietor, The Greek A Factory (active 1686–1701)
Height x Length: 30 x 28 cm (11 13/16 x 11 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Pair of five-stemmed tulip vases in the form of fans in monochrome blue-gray (after blue and white Chinese porcelain from the Ming period) with floral decoration and two small birds in a losenge-shaped cartouche, surrounded by foliage and fruit.
Paper label on each:
"Collection G. Ephis / DELFT 040" and
"Collection G. Ephis / DELFT 041"
Conjoined "AK" in underglaze blue on both.
1991, sold by Aronson Antiquairs (dealers), Amsterdam to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger