Pair of tulip vases in the form of obelisks
Marked by Lambertus van Eenhoorn, proprietor, De Metalen Pot Factory (Dutch, 1651–1721)
Overall height: 38 cm (14 15/16 in.) Base: 10 x 6.5 cm (3 15/16 x 2 9/16 in.)
2012.594.1a-b - 2a-b
Medium or Technique
Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)
Tulip vases in two parts. The top portion has eight spouts for cut flowers surrounding a tapered obelisk. The broad base has ten spouts for flowers (four facing front and back and two at either end). Open-mouthed animals climb up both sides of the base, which stands on a rectangular foot.
Two labels on each:
"Stodel Amsterdam / DA 89"
"Collection G. Ephis"
"2 / 1 / VE / KG / 0" in underglaze blue on both.
2000, sold by Salomon Stodel Antiquités (dealer), Amsterdam , to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger