Pair of wall lights

English
about 1802
Designed by Thomas Hope (1769–1831)


Dimensions

Overall: 34.9 x 75.2 cm (13 3/4 x 29 5/8 in.) Overall (with chains): 141 x 75.2 cm (55 1/2 x 29 5/8 in.)

Accession Number

2011.1636.1-2

Medium or Technique

Bronzed and gilt limewood, later brass chains

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Decorative arts

This pair of wall lights was designed by innovative Regency designer and collector Thomas Hope. The lights correspond to a drawing in the 1807 publication of his own designs entitled Household Furniture and Interior Decoration and they likely hung in the Egyptian Room in Hope’s London residence on Duchess Street. Hope believed that long horizontal lines at equal distances from each other render an interior more grand and create a magnificent diffusion of light.

Provenance

1807, with Thomas Hope (b. 1770 - d. 1831), London. By 1931, Gerald Wellesley (b. 1885- d. 1972), 7th Duke of Wellington, Tichfield Terrace, London; by descent within the family; sold by the descendants of Gerald Wellesley to H. Blairman and Sons, London; sold by Blairman to Philip Hewat-Jaboor, St. Lawrence, Jersey, Channel Islands; 2011, sold by Philip Hewat-Jaboor, through Keywest Management, Ltd., to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 21, 2011)

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated by Horace Wood Brock and Rowland Burdon-Muller Fund, Jane Marsland and Judith A. Marsland Fund, Helen B. Sweeney Fund, Mary L. Smith Fund, Ernest Kahn Fund, Arthur Mason Knapp Fund, and funds by exchange from a Gift of Elizabeth and Gordon Morrill