Parlor from the Mansfield House
Object Place: Marblehead, Massachusetts
Length 16 feet; width 16 feet, 10 inches; height 8 feet, 4 inches.
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Room with four paneled walls, including fireplace wall flanked by cupboard at right and paneled door at left.
This woodwork is from a house built for Isaac Mansfield of Marblehead, Massachusetts, between 1743 and 1760 and located on State Street. The dwelling was subsequently owned by members of the Orne family. The house was purchased by the Museum in 1927 with funds provided by Mrs. George H. Davenport, a Bostonian with a summer home in Marblehead, and the paneling removed. (The original house was resold for use as an apartment complex and was still standing in 1978.) The paneling was installed in the Decorative Arts Wing in 1928 and removed around 2002-3.
Gift of Mrs. George H. Davenport