German or Austrian
late 17th century
Object Place: Munden?
Height: 20.6 cm (8 1/8 in.)
Not On View
Glazed Hafner ware. Stippled lavendar glaze on globular body flattened on four sides. Delft-like shaped scenic panels in blue at sides, clock face with single hand on 12. Maple leaves above on narrow neck with pinched spout. Scroll handle. Small base on which glaze did not cover evenly. Ex-coll: Oscar Bondy, No.251.
1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (no. OB 413) [see note 1]; stored at the Central Depot, Neue Burg, Vienna, and probably removed to Alt Aussee [see note 2]; 1945, recovered by Allied forces and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; October 19, 1961, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962)
 With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This pitcher is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), probably no. 413 ("Fayence Enghalskrug mit Uhr, H. 22, Österr. 18. Jh.").
 Many works of art stored elsewhere by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, to be kept stafe from wartime bombing.
 Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson