Object Place: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
36.5 x 21.5 x 15.5 cm (14 3/8 x 8 7/16 x 6 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Waleska Evans James Gallery (Gallery 236)
The pitcher’s ovoid body is raised and has a seamed pinched neck, large drawn spout, large C-curved handle and raised, splayed base. Repoussé work with stippled background covers most of the vessel’s surface. The spout has an applied beaded edge with wavy contours; its underside has a rippled shell-like relief design. A raised floral band surrounds the shoulder; side vignettes of landscape and architectural scenes are surrounded by floral and grape vines in repoussé work. A band of leaves encircles the joining to base, which is covered with a raised floral design and tightly rippled at the outer edge. The base rests on an applied seamed vertical edge. The cast handle, decorated with grapes and leaves at each end, rises from the top rim opposite opposite the spout and joins near the center of the body.
The maker’s marks stamped on the base of this pitcher were used during the years 1846 – 1861, when Samuel Kirk’s son Henry Child Kirk first worked with him. By this time, the elder Kirk’s distinctive “Baltimore” Rococo-revival style was fully developed, and the entire surface of this large pitcher is covered with hand-chased repoussé ornament. A late-summer landscape of trees surrounding a steepled church, adorned with two stately Italianate towers and set beside a stream with a bridge, surrounds the inscribed reserve under the spout. Roses in full bloom and grapevines laden with fruit form a meandering framework around the landscape. More orderly circles of roses ring the shoulder and base.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
"Susan Cotton / to / E.A. Cotton / 1850" engraved in a reserve under the spout.
“S. KIRK & SON [doublestruck] / 11.oz,” all in roman letters and each within a rectangle, struck on base.
Early history unknown prior to its aquisition by the donor, Edna K. Papasian. Gift to the MFA in 1977.
Gift of Mrs. Haig P. Papazian in memory of Miss Xoa M. Shafer