Plaque with Bishop Saint
first quarter of the 13th century
Made at Limoges (France)
Object Place: Europe, Limoges, France
14.7 x 8.8 cm (5 13/16 x 3 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper
Not On View
A mandorla-shaped plaque with six pinholes. Hammered, champlevé, engraved, enameled, and gilded. The enamel colors are lapis blue, azure blue, light blue, turquoise, and red in single and mixed fields of up to three colors. The standing, nimbed bishop, engraved and in reserve, is placed against an azure-blue ground decorated in reserve with foliate scrolls with trefoil and profile leaves. A turquoise band forms a border. The bearded bishop, who raises his right arm in benediction, wears a miter, dalmatic, alb, chasuble, and amice. Over the chasuble is a cross-hatched pallium. The dalmatic is decorated with a rinceaux border on the bottom, and the collar of the chasuble is marked by an undulating band. The crook of the crosier in the bishop’s left hand takes the form of one of the foliate ground scrolls. The halo is azure blue with a light-blue border and red center, and the pointed ecclesiastical shoes are decorated with central wavy bands.
Possibly a Viennese collection [see note 1]. 1950, Blumka Gallery, New York; 1950, sold by Blumka to the MFA for $2,500 [see note 2]. (Accession Date: January 12, 1950)
 According to notes in the curatorial file.  The MFA acquired accession nos. 50.2, 50.3, and 50.4 together.
Helen and Alice Colburn Fund