Thumbnail-size images of copyrighted artworks are displayed under fair use, in accordance with guidelines recommended by the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for the Visual Arts, published by the College Art Association in February 2015.
Julius O. Randahl (about 1880–1972)
Object Place: Skokie, Illinois, United States
Overall: 2 x 30.5 cm (13/16 x 12 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This is a circular, flat-bottomed tray with a raised 5-lobed rim with a rolled edge
In 1911 Swedish immigrant Julius Randahl (1880 – 1972) founded The Randahl Company, one of the largest and best-known metalwork firms in Chicago. A skilled silversmith, Randahl was also a successful entrepreneur, developing a national distribution network that sold to distant retailers, such as Shreve, Crump & Low of Boston, as well as locally through Marshall Field’s. He received wide recognition in 1937 for the silverwares he included in the “Exhibition of Contemporary and Handwrought Silver” at the Brooklyn Museum. Later that year he won a silver medal in Paris at the Exposition International des Arts et Techniques for a silver centerpiece and pair of candlesticks.
A stock item, this model was identified as “318/12 Hand Wrought Waiter” in company records; it was available in at least four sizes. In 1965 the retail cost for a twelve-inch waiter of this design was listed as $125. Randahl took advantage of all means to increase production and satisfy demand while realizing a considerable profit. He employed modern machinery and an army of specialized workmen, including skilled silversmiths, spinners, and polishers. Randahl’s sons, Julius Jr. and F. Scott Randahl, sold their silver business to Reed & Barton, which established the Randahl Division in 1965.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
CV with circular border in center
“RANDAHL / STERLING / 318 / 12 IN” struck incuse on bottom. “H – 11 – 166 M E W O – A W V E X.” scratched on bottom, near edge.
1954, Purchased from Shreve, Crump and Low. 1954, Gift to Celia Vandermark on occasion of her retirement from the MFA to marry Mason Scudder(1894 – 1971) of St. Louis; September 15, 1982, gift of Mrs. Scudder to MFA.
Gift of Mrs. Mason Scudder