Made at Chantilly Manufactory (France)
3.2 cm (1 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed soft-paste porcelain decorated in blue enamel
Not On View
These eight plates (65.1956–65.1963) and three cups and saucers (65.1968a-b, 65.1969a-b, 65.1970a-b) formed part of a service ordered by Louis-Joseph de Bourbon-Condé (1736–1818), for the Menagerie at the chateau of Chantilly. The circular plate has a scalloped rim edged in blue.The center is painted in blue with the arms of the Prince de Condé with the order of the Saint-Esprit.
hunting horn with 414 in gray enamel
About 1765-1770, delivered to Louis-Joseph de Bourbon-Condé, Prince of Condé, (b. 1736 - d. 1818), for the Ménagerie on the grounds of the chateau of Chantilly. Forsyth Wickes (b.1876-d.1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA [see note 1]. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
 The 8 identical plates from this service currently in the MFA collection were acquired by Forsyth Wickes in 2 groups. The provenance of both groups is given here:
6 of the plates: By 1947, Pauline Riggs Noyes; February 7-8, 1947, sold by Pauline Riggs Noyes at Parke Bernet, New York, lot 98. By 1947, with Rosenberg & Stiebel, New York; February 12, 1947, sold by Rosenberg & Stiebel to Forsyth Wickes.
2 of the plates: By 1948, Mrs. H. Dupuy, New York; April 2-3, 1948, sold by Mrs. H. Dupuy at Parke Bernet, New York, and bought by Forsyth Wickes.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection