Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France)
inches: 1 1/4 x 9 1/2 diam.
Not On View
White ground; blue and gold border; a cameo head of Jean de la Quintinie
The Sèvres factory produced a large and varied range of services decorated with neoclassical gilded borders, including a number called Iconographic. Simulating carved cameos, these depicted famous men from ancient and modern history. This plate is painted with a portrait of Jean de La Quintinie, Director of Gardens at the court of Louis XIV and renowned for his studies on pruning fruit trees.
Wales collection MFA loan label
Wales collection label "No. 120 / Old Sevres"
-Painted in crimson 'm.' also in gold
La Quintinie (Jean de) Agronome / né à Poitiers/1626
blue printed mark with the word Sevres with a six-pointed star above and "33" below, in a circle
circular mark in orange with Chateau de Compiegne with crown above
-further incised '8', 'Z', '8', '8'
By 1895, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Wales; 1895, gift of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Wales. (Accession date: March 28, 1895)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. George Washington Wales