Native American (Lenape, Proto-Munsee)
Object Place: Between Matamoras and Dingman's Ferry, Pennsylvania, United States, Upper Delaware Valley
6.98 x 2.22 x 1.59 cm (2 3/4 x 7/8 x 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Smoothly polished dark stone. Elongated almond shape with rounded knob at one end.
1962, excavated on the property of Marie Zimmermann (36-Pi-14), in the area of the proposed Tocks Island Reservoir between Matamoras and Dingman's Ferry, Pennsylvania and acquired by Lyman Vandermark (b. 1909 - d. 1978), Port Jervis, NY [see note]; sold by Vandermark's widow to Glenn Del Gaizo, Stockholm, NJ; 1993, sold by Glenn Del Gaizo to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 27, 1993)
NOTE: This excavation, led by Lenape Chapter 12 of the Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology, is discussed by David J. Werner, "The Zimmermann Site: 36-Pi-14," in Archeology in the Upper Delaware Valley, by W. Fred Kinsey, III (Harrisburg, PA, 1972), pp. 55-130. Lyman Vandermark assisted at the site.
American Decorative Arts Curator's Fund