Thomas Knox Emery (1781–1815)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
5.2 x 21 cm (2 1/16 x 8 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
A raised keyhole-handled porringer of standard form, with convex sides, domed bottom with center punch, everted rim, and applied cast handle.
Along with Thomas Bentley (1764 – 1804) and Robert Dawes (b. 1767), who preceded him, Thomas Knox Emery was probably the last silversmith to apprentice in the large shop run by his father, Stephen (1749 – 1801). Thomas began working independently about the time of his father’s death, with the likely inheritance of the “sundry Shop tools & Utensils” valued at $30 that was listed in his father’s inventory. The mark he employed — that of his first initial and full surname within a shaped cartouche — resembles the one used by his father.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
Engraved "EW" in sprigged entwined script on front of bowl.
Ada Mark * F4721 "T. Emery" in cartouche on underside of handle.
Early history unknown; bequeathed to the Museum in1932 by the noted Boston collector Charles Hitchcock Tyler.
Bequest of Charles Hitchcock Tyler