Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France)
Object Place: Europe, France
31 cm (12 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain, gilt-bronze mounts, marble plinth
Ann and William Elfers Gallery (Gallery 245)
This lidded bowl with pierced collar is similar to two drawings of pot-pourri vases in the Sèvres factory archives. The drawings bear inscriptions referring to the gilt-bronze mounts, which in one case were to be executed by Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751–1843), the leading bronze modeler and gilder of the Empire period. A plaster model of this form matching one of the inscribed drawings remains at Sèvres.
Possibly in the late 18th century, in the Amory family collection, Boston, MA [see note 1]; by 1921, probably by descent to Martha C. Codman (Mrs. Maxim Karolik) Newport, RI and Boston, MA [see note 2]; 1944, sold by Mr. and Mrs. Maxim Karolik and bought by the MFA through the Charles Hitchcock Tyler Residuary Fund for $15000. (Accession date: March 9, 1944)
 See curatorial recommendation to the director, March 9, 1944, in MFA curatorial file.  See Whitehill, "Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, A Centennial History," Volume Two, 1970, p. 466, citing a letter from Mr. Karolik stating that Mrs. Karolik's inheritances came from the Amory, Codman, Derby and Pickman families. Martha C. Codman's mother was Mrs. John Amory Codman. From May 25, 1921 until October 5, 1929, this object was on loan to the MFA from Martha C. Codman.
Charles Hitchcock Tyler Residuary Fund