Quinarius with bust of Carus
Diameter: 15.5 mm. Weight: 1.21 gm. Die Axis: 6
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Obverse: Bust of Carus, right, laureate, draped and cuirassed.
Reverse: Soldier standing left, holding spear in his left hand, large round shield with his right hand.
December, 1885, discovered by Don Mariano Lazzari at Cerveteri, Italy and sold, through Pietro Pennelli, to Rodolfo Lanciani (b. 1845 – d. 1929), Rome; 1888, sold by Lanciani to the MFA for $491.89 [purchase price for MFA accession nos. 88.345 – 88.530]. (Accession Date: January 1, 1888)
NOTE: See Helen Nagy, "Etruscan Votive Terracottas from Cerveteri in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: A Glimpse into the History of the Collection," Etruscan Studies 11 (2008), pp. 101-119.