Ri Brigade, Tenth Group, Asajigahara: Actor Onoe Kikujirô II as the Poor Girl of the Lonely House (Hitotsuya no shizunome), from the series Flowers of Edo and Views of Famous Places (Edo no hana meishô-e)
「江戸の花名勝会 り 十番組」 「浅茅」 「一ツ家の賎の女 尾上菊次郎」（二代目）
1862 (Bunkyû 2), 4th month
Artist Utagawa Kunisada I (Toyokuni III) (Japanese, 1786–1864), Other artist Utagawa Hiroshige II (Shigenobu) (Japanese, 1826–1869), Other artist Shôgetsu (Japanese, born about 1800), Publisher Katôya Iwazô (Seibei) (Japanese), Blockcutter Koizumi Minokichi (Hori Mino) (Japanese, 1833–1906)
Vertical ôban, creped; 20.3 x 14.8 cm (8 x 5 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper, creped
Not On View
MFA impressions: 11.42488, 11.44607, 11.45396.6 (creped, in album)
The term “flowers of Edo” (Edo no hana) can refer, among other things, to fires. The title panel for each print in this series shows the lanterns and identifying standard (matoi) for one of the brigades of firefighters (hikeshi) assigned to various districts. On the west side of the Sumida River were 48 brigades named for the symbols of the kana syllabary and grouped into 8 numbered groups (1 to 10, minus the bad-luck numbers 4 and 7). On the east side of the river, brigades were numbered and assigned to directional groups. Outlying districts were covered by special brigades, here designated “extra” (bangai). Each title gives the name or number of a brigade, its group, and its district, followed by the kabuki scene chosen to match it.
Ôju Toyokuni ga, in toshidama cartouche (bottom right); Gesshôsai Kinbun sha (top); Hiroshige sha (top, on bowl); Shôgetsu (bottom left)
Censor's seal: Dog 4 aratame
Blockcutter's mark: Horikô Mino
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection