Ring with cameo of clasped hands

Roman, Eastern Mediterranean
Imperial Period
3rd century A.D.


Catalogue Raisonné

Highlights: Classical Art (MFA), p. 094.

Dimensions

Height x width x depth: 1 x 2.3 x 1.9 cm (3/8 x 7/8 x 3/4 in.)

Accession Number

63.1555

Medium or Technique

Gold and sardonyx

On View

Anne and Blake Ireland Gallery (Gallery 210A)

Collections

Europe, Jewelry, The Ancient World

Classifications

Rings

A traditional Roman marriage ring with bezel design of two clasped hands. The woman’s hand on the left wears a bracelet. Above, a garland or fillet. Below, OMONOIA, “harmony” (white on blue background). Octagonal hoop with oval bezel mounting. The shape of the ring suggests that it was worn on the upper joints of fingers rather than lower as indicated by figural sculptures wearing jewelry.

Provenance

By date unknown: with Robert E. Hecht, Jr.; October 17, 1963: gift to MFA in memory of R. E. and Julia K. Hecht

Credit Line

Gift of Robert E. Hecht, Jr. in memory of Robert E. Hecht, Sr. and Julia K. Hecht