German (Southwestern) or Austrian (Western)
80.0 x 24.8 x 9.0 cm (31 1/2 x 9 3/4 x 3 9/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Wood with polychromy
Not On View
This figure of Saint Leonard is part of a set with a Bishop Saint (63.585). Both figures were originally displayed in the center of a winged altarpiece similar to that in Oehringen which is datable around 1510.
Before 1935, purchased in Kassel, Germany by Dr. Siegfried Josef Thannhauser (b. 1885 - d. 1962), Freiburg, Düsseldorf, and Brookline, MA [see note 1]; 1963, bequest of Siegfried J. Thannhauser to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 8, 1963)
 Dr. Thannhauser immigrated to the Boston area in 1935, bringing his art collection with him. According to Edward R. Lubin's appraisal of his collection (February 14, 1962), this sculpture was purchased in Kassel.
Bequest of Dr. Siegfried J. Thannhauser in memory of his wife, Franziska Reiner Thannhauser