Italian (Venice ?)
late 13th century
Object Place: Venice (?), Italy
6 x 2.5 cm (2 3/8 x 1 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glass with gold leaf and lead borders
Not On View
One of seven stained glass of saints and religious scenes.
The plaques representing the Nativity, Saint Paul standing in three-quarter view (inscribed: S PAULUS), and a half length frontal figure of Saint Mary Magdalene (inscribed:.SCA MARIA MADALENA) are on purple glass. Those depicting the Annunciation, the Virgin and Child (of the Hodegetria type) under an arch (inscribed MH[TH]P O[EO]Y), a half-length frontal figure of Saint Mark are on dark-blue glass. The decoration and inscriptions are acid-etched, giving a rough, silvery surface to the glass. Gold leaf, in which modeling lines have been scratched, is applied on the front of the glass over the inscriptions, the framing gold bands, the hair and headdresses, the animals, and parts of the architecture and drapery (usually mantles). Thus, the designs depend on the interplay between the etched and gilded surfaces and are read best when placed against a dark ground.
Probably until 1953, Prince Esterhàzy, Galanta, Hungary; 1953, probably sold by Ezterhàzy to Georges Wildenstein, Wildenstein and Co., New York [see note 1]; 1968, sold by Wildenstein to John Goelet, New York [see note 2]; 1973, gift of John Goelet to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 9, 1974)
 This is suggested by notes in the MFA curatorial file.  See letter from Harry Brooks, President, Wildenstein and Co. to Nancy Netzer of the MFA (August 1, 1985; in MFA curatorial file).
Gift of John Goelet in honor of Hanns Swarzenski