Section of an arm or leg cuff (?)
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama
Overall: 6.9 x 9.5 cm (2 11/16 x 3 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Thick band of hammered sheet gold that likely was part of an arm or leg band. Both ends are broken away, but its proper right edge matches the proper left edge of 1971.904, whose end has two tie-end perforations typical of Coclé arm/leg bands. See 1971.904.
After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)
NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Landon T. Clay