Place of Origin: Departments of Cundinamarca & Boyacá, Colombia
36.83 cm (14 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Gold and copper alloy
Ancient South America Gallery (Gallery LG33)
Serpent effigy with two braided rows of wire indicatings its spine. Its mouth is open with fangs and tongue protruding.
Collected by Joaquin Arciniégas, Colombia, by March 1, 1906 (to San José, Costa Rica by May 23, 1908; to San Salvador, El Salvador by June 19, 1916); sold to Doctor Daniel Villatoro Rugama, San Salvador, El Salvador, August 6, 1929; sold to Oliverio Girondo, Paris, January 10, 1930 (to Argentina probably after 1946); with Leon Buki, Buenos Aires, Argentina by January 2, 1975; with Alphonse Jax, New York, by February 1975; to Landon T. Clay, Boston; to MFA, March 12, 1975, gift.
Gift of Landon T. Clay