Sestertius with carpentum drawn by mules, struck under Tiberius
Diameter: 38 mm. Weight: 28.79 gm.
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Obverse: Carpentum drawn by two mules to right.
Reverse: in center: SC (large)
December, 1885, discovered by Don Mariano Lazzari at Cerveteri, Italy and sold, through Pietro Pennelli, to Rodolfo Lanciani (b. 1845 – d. 1929), Rome; 1888, sold by Lanciani to the MFA for $491.89 [purchase price for MFA accession nos. 88.345 – 88.530]. (Accession Date: January 1, 1888)
NOTE: See Helen Nagy, "Etruscan Votive Terracottas from Cerveteri in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: A Glimpse into the History of the Collection," Etruscan Studies 11 (2008), pp. 101-119.