Object Place: Southeastern Massachusetts, United States
Overall: 157.5 x 182.9 x 44.5 cm (62 x 72 x 17 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
White pine, oak
Not On View
Large pine settle with a tall hooded back, low bench seat, and side arm rests. The hood is slightly arched and surmounts a tall back composed of five horizontal overlapped boards all hand planed with tool marks fitted together with simple lap joints. The back boards are secured to the side boards with rose headed nails. The top of the full length side boards are narrow, and then widen midway to form a curved arm rest. The bench seat lifts to expose a storage compartment, and is attached with the original snipe-bill iron hinges. The front, sides, and rear boards all extend to the floor and are connected by butt joints and rose headed nails. There is a low arch cut out from the bottom of the side boards and a canted extension supporting the lowest back board to prevent tipping. A thin red wash on the backboard and traces of the original brown paint are visible throughout.
On proper right upper corner of backboards in black crayon: "11th"
Said to have "originally been in a Cape Cod house"; ca. 1956 or earlier, in the Pearson Tavern, Byfield, Mass.; 1956, purchased by the parents of Bruce Miller, who acquired the tavern and its antiques; 1982, in the collection of Bruce Miller, Boxford, Mass.; 1985, sold by Bruce Miller to the MFA. (Accession Date April 24, 1985)
Museum purchase with funds donated by Marguerite A. Piret and Miriam Stoneman