Sheathing for a jaguar effigy
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Cocle, Panama
3.4 x 1.5 x 3.4 cm (1 5/16 x 9/16 x 1 5/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Thin sheet gold jaguar effigy figure embossed with circles and other markings typical of jaguar pelts. The effigy is composed of two sheets of hammered gold folded over to create the three-dimensional form. The jaguar is depicted in a standing position with head turned backwards. Its tail is curled underneath its legs and is grasped by the front paws.
After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)
NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Landon T. Clay