A. Kimbel & J. Cabus (active 1863–1882)
Object Place: New York, New York
156.21 x 43.18 x 114.3 cm (61 1/2 x 17 x 45 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ebonized cherry; porcelain
Robert P. and Carol T. Henderson Gallery (Gallery 228)
Sideboard rises on two turned legs, bulbous at top, from a raised platform; the bottom section has two enclosed cupboards flanking an arched niche. Backboard rises from top of base which is framed at either end by a gallery topped by carved bird at rear; at top of backboard is a galleried shelf. There is incised gold decoration on doors, framing backboard, and on rectangular plaque at center of upper shelf. Ceramic tiles in blue, green, yellow, and white, with Arabic-style inscriptions, are set into the doors, backboard, and on either end.
Around 1930-35, aclquired by the Dermarderosian family of Brookline,Massachusetts, who owned Oriental Rugs, Needham, Massachusetts, possibly in lieu of a cash payment; 1999, consigned by the family to Carl R. Nordblum's unreserved estate auction, Watertown, Mass., February 20, 1999; 1999, purchased at that sale by Andrew VanStyn, Fourth Quarter Antiques, Baltimore, Maryland; 1999, purchased from VanStyn by the MFA (Accession Date: June 23, 1999).
H. E. Bolles Fund