Statuette of a horseman
about 540 B.C.
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 034; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 118 (additional published references).
Height: 15.4 cm (6 1/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The horseman wears a tight cap over his long plaits of hair (which fall down on his shoulders) and a tight chiton with short sleeves and short trousers. There is a belt around his waist. The hands were pierced for the reins.
Condition: The feet have been restored. Pale green patina.
1832, found in a tomb at Armento, Basilicata (Lucania), Italy [see note 1]. October 5, 1833, sold by a dealer named Casanova, Naples to Gabriel Fegervary (or Fejérwáry) (b. 1780 - d. 1851, Eperies (present-day Presov, Slovakia); to his nephew, Ferencz Aurel Pulsky (b. 1814 - d. 1897), Budapest [see note 2]; May 18-23, 1868, Fegervary and Pulsky collection sale, Hotel Drouot, Paris, lot 1. William Henry Forman (b. 1793 - d. 1869), Pippbrook House, Surrey [see note 3]; by descent, through his sister-in-law, Mrs. Burt, to his nephew, Major A. H. Browne, and in 1890 taken to Callaly Castle, Northumberland; June 19-22, 1899, posthumous Furman collection sale, Sotheby, Wilkinson and Hodge, London, lot 54 to Edward Perry Warren (b. 1860 - d. 1928), London; 1901, sold by Warren to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 1, 1901)
 On the provenance of this figure and the bronze group with which it was found, see János Gy. Szilágyi, "Materiale Etrusco e Magnogreco in una collezione Ungherese dell'Ottocento," Scienze dell'Antichità 5 (1991): 505-508 and Alfonsina Russo Tagliente, "I Cavalieri di Londra e Boston: Un Gruppo Bronzeo da Armento," Mitteilungen des deutschen archaeologischen Instituts, Roemische Abteilung 105 (1998): 285-294.
 Tagliente (as above, n. 1), 288-289. Published as being in the (deceased) Fejérwáry collection by Em. Braun, "Gruppo Arcaico di Bronzo Scoperto a Grumento," Annali dell'Instituto di Corrispondenza Archaeologica, n.s., 10 (1853): 113-116.
 W. Chaffers, "Catalogue of the Works of Antiquity and Art Collected by the late William Henry Forman" (1892), cat. no. 2477, as "from the Pulsky collection."
Museum purchase with funds donated by contribution