Statuette of Eros wearing the lionskin of Herakles

Greek, East Greek
Hellenistic Period
1st century B.C.


Catalogue Raisonné

Burr, Terra-cottas from Myrina (MFA), no. 017; Highlights: Classical Art (MFA), p. 090.

Dimensions

Overall: 39.4 x 26.7 x 16.5 cm (15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 6 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

00.321

Medium or Technique

Terracotta

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Sculpture

Statuette of a winged Eros, masquerading as Herakles. He has his weight on his right leg and his left placed a little to the side. His left hand is extended with the palm looking down and he has his right hand on his hip behind his back (maybe trying to hide something like the apples of the Hesperides?). He wears a lion skin, which is covering his shoulders and the forepaws are knotted on his chest above a disk; the hind legs hang behind his legs, the paws fitting under his feet. Around his left leg and foot something is wound, which resembles a serpent but it is probably the lion’s tail; Eros’s head is covered with the lion’s head, under which Eros wears a thick circlet. He has a drapery hanging down his right arm and he wears a bracelet on his left upper arm and wrist and anklets on his right ankle; he also wears bands on his thighs, that on the left leg being double with an inset amulet. On the back two wings protrude. His body is chubby and on a semi-dancing pose. The playful depiction of Eros relates to a Hellenistic epigram which describes a statue of Herakles by Lysippos, in which Eros has stripped Herakles of his attributes.
There are traces of red on chest, stomach and pupils of eyes;pink on left leg;reddish-brown on hair;yellow and red outside the lion’s skin, red on inside of lion skin;yellow with super-imposed gilding on both wings, circlet and left thigh ornament; yellow in bracelet of upper left arm; pink on both wings.
Fingers, apart from right thumb, are missing and the left wing is mended.

Yellow-red clay.

Provenance

By 1900: with Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: [00.321 and 00.322] were bought from Smyrna. [They were] from Myrina and belonged to A. Fontrier of Smyrna); purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren, February 1900

Credit Line

Henry Lillie Pierce Fund