Object Place: Coastal New England, United States
Overall: 210.8 x 34.9 x 21 cm (83 x 13 3/4 x 8 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
White pine, early brass works
Not On View
Handwritten note by Elizabeth Eddy Holden pasted to clock:
"This clock was the maiden property of Anna Wood (borh Jan. 28, 1745 died May 22, 1837) who became the wife of Zephaniah Eddy. The clock was presented by her to her grandson, George Morton Eddy, (son of Job Eddy) in contemplation of his marriage with the request that 'it never be assigned to the attic'.
It is supposed that the works were imported, as at that early date there were no brass clocks in this country. They appear to have been made by hand and are fastened together by hammered pins. The case is of common pine stained to imitate mahogany. The original owner said that the face was made from the bottom of a copper kettle, afterward nickel plated. The hour hand is tipped with leather. The pendulum rod is of wood. The pendulum weight is of lead, and the time weight is of iron. The clock is simply a time-piece and a most excellent one.
It requires winding once in twenty-four hours. At this date six generations have consulted this old friend.
According to family tradition, this clock was owned by Anna Wood (1745-1837), who married Zephaniah Eddy in 1770; 1837, by descent to her grandson, George Morton Eddy, New Bedford, Mass.; by further descent in the family to Ruth H. Robinson (d. 1987); 1987, by descent to her husband, Walter G. Robinson; 1988, gift of Walter G. Robinson, Dedham, Massachusetts (Accession Date January 25, 1988)
Gift of Walter G. Robinson in memory of Ruth H. Robinson