Object Place: Europe, Germany
24.8 x 16.3 cm (9 3/4 x 6 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed earthenware with polychrome decoration and pewter mounts
Charles C. Cunningham Gallery (Gallery 247)
The cylindrical tankard with an ear-shaped handle is painted with a continuous scene depicting the departure of two mounted hunters, one assisted by a companion on foot, the other leading a hound. The three men wear puce coats, and their horses are painted in manganese purple; the hound is painted in yellow. The foliage of the trees is green and turquoise; the lightly clouded sky is painted in blue. Both the interior and the base of the tankard are glazed in pale blue. The tankard has been fitted with pewter mounts comprising a stepped domed cover with a large baluster thumbpiece, a simple molded mouth rim, and a flared foot. The pewter lid, probably contemporary with the tankard, was inscribed by a later owner: K HR / 1782.
(1) on side of tankard, at right of scene, in brown: factory mark B.K.
(2) on side of tankard, at left of scene, in brown: Grebner 1731
(3) on pewter lid, engraved: K HR 1782
October 1964, purchased in New York by Rita and Frits Markus; 1983, gift of Rita and Frits Markus to the MFA.
Gift of Rita and Frits Markus