Tankard (one of a pair)
John Coney (American, 1655 or 1656–1722)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Overall (h x w x dia.; weight): 19.2 x 17.6 x 9.8 cm, 0.8 kg (7 9/16 x 6 15/16 x 3 7/8 in., 1.8 lb.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The raised cylindrical vessel has straight tapering sides rising from a drawn base molding toward rim, with an applied drawn molding. The midband is placed above the lower handle attachment. The stepped domed cover has a small button finial; flange within. The cast scrolled thumbpiece descends to a five-part hinge with small applied baluster decoration on the seamed C-scroll handle. An oval disk secures the lower handle to the body; a cast cherub’s head forms the terminus, with an oval air vent below.
Engraved "A Gift to Mr Holyoaks [sic] Church / Marblehead / 1716" in script on body of vessel.
Marked "IC" crowned above a coney, all within a shield, on bottom of vessel and to left of handle near rim; on cover bezel is stamped "IC" within an ellipse.
Ada Mark * F3853 (body), * F3854 (base)
The Second Congregational Church in Marblehead, Massachusetts (later called the Unitarian Universalist Church in Marblehead); purchased by the MFA from the church in 1984.
Museum purchase with funds donated by a friend of the Department of American Decorative Arts and Sculpture and the Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund