Tankard (one of a pair)
John Coney (American, 1655 or 1656–1722)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Overall: 19 x 16.6 x 9.9 cm, 0.8 kg (7 1/2 x 6 9/16 x 3 7/8 in., 1.8 lb.)
Medium or Technique
Burton A. Cleaves Gallery (Gallery LG27)
The raised cylindrical vessel has straight tapering sides rising from a drawn base molding toward rim, with an applied drawn molding. The midband is placed above the lower handle attachment. The stepped domed cover has a small button finial; flange within. The cast scrolled thumbpiece descends to a five-part hinge with small applied baluster decoration on the seamed C-scroll handle. An oval disk secures the lower handle to the body; a cast cherub’s head forms the terminus, with an oval air vent below.
Engraved "A Gift to Mr Holyokes Church: / Marble head / 1716," in script on body of vessel.
Marked "IC" crowned above a coney, within a shield-shaped cartouche, on bottom of vessel and to left of handle near rim; on cover bezel is stamped "IC" within an ellipse.
Ada Mark * F3850, * F3849
The Second Congregational Church in Marblehead, Massachusetts (later called the Unitarian Universalist Church in Marblehead); purchased by the MFA from the church in 1984.
Museum purchase with funds donated by a friend of the Department of American Decorative Arts and Sculpture and the Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund