Made at Du Paquier Factory, Vienna (1718–1744)
Object Place: Vienna, Austria
Overall: 14.3 x 21 x 12.5cm (5 5/8 x 8 1/4 x 4 15/16in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain decorated in iron-red enamel; silver cover and chain
Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)
The globular teapot has a C-shaped handle and a curved spout molded in the form of a serpent’s head on a ribbed neck. The pot is painted in iron red with a continuous mountain landscape that includes figures and rustic buildings on one side and four men on horseback and dogs hunting a bear on the other. On the spout the eyes, nose, mouth, and the scales of the neck are also painted in iron red, and the handle is painted with feathering. The silver domed cover is surmounted by cast oak leaves and acorns and is engraved with a continuous arch motif on the border. The cover is attached to the handle and spout by silver rings and chains.
The Viennese factory founded by Claudius du Paquier in 1718 produced mainly tablewares, such as this teapot, with iron-red decoration depicting a bear hunt. The unusual spout in the form of a serpent’s head is characteristic of the factory’s creative designs. In 1744, Holy Roman Empress Maria Theresa acquired the factory and restyled it the Imperial Porcelain manufactory.
Teapot: none. Cover: F*(E?); 1/3/1/7/9/8 within a shaped shield (Vienna hallmark for 1798).
By 1942, Howard Back, New York; July 14, 1942, sold by Howard Back toForsyth Wickes (b.1876-d.1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection