Paul Revere, Sr. (American (born in France, baptized Apollos Rivoire), 1702–1754)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
14.6 x 22.2 cm (5 3/4 x 8 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The globular vessel was raised and then turned upside down so that the original base could be cut out and remade as a lid. A flat three-part hinge and applied ring seated within the rim ensure that the lid is flush with the vessel exterior; a cast and chased conical pineapple finial is pinned at the center of the lid, near a small air vent. The original open rim of the raised form has been closed with a base that has been let in and soldered in place.
The replaced silver and ivory handle is set into an existing upper socket having a scored edge and stylized foliate decoration. The reverse-curved spout is affixed over strainer holes; attenuated baluster decoration appears below spout; twelve panels with scalloped edges form the lower portion of the spout, and the curved upper portion terminates in foliate decoration on retracted upper lip. A broad, splayed cast foot with applied foot ring is soldered to the body.
A broad band of engraving at the shoulder consists of large shells at sides and mask facing spout, interspersed with diaper fields, broken scrolls, and foliate decoration. A narrow border around the edge of the lid has scallop decoration, with a sixteen-point flower at center.
This teapot’s distinctly globular shape and finely engraved scroll and bellflower decoration at the shoulder are stylistically within the oeuvre of Revere I and unlike any produced by the son.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
Scratch weight of "oz /18 : 3/4", and in another hand "oz w / 18 - 12" on bottom.
"P [pellet] REVERE" in a rectangle marked on bottom of teapot above center point.
it is likely that the first owner was Elizabeth Cutt (or Cutts) (1709 – 1805), probably after her first marriage in 1727 to the Rev. Joseph Whipple (1701 – 1757). Her second marriage of 1758 was to the Rev. John Lowell (1704 – 1767). Descended to Judge John Lowell (1743 – 1802), Reverend Lowell’s son by his first wife, Sarah Champney (1704 – 1756). Judge Lowell m. his third wife, Rebecca (Russell) Tyng (1746 – 1816), in 1778, and the bowl descended to their son the Rev. Charles Lowell (1782 – 1861), pastor of West Congregational Church in Boston, m. Harriett Brackett Spence (1783 – 1850) in 1806.3 By descent to their daughter Mary Traill Spence Lowell (1810 – 1898) and Samuel Raymond Putnam (1797 – 1861), m. 1832.4 The vessel probably descended to their daughter Georgina Lowell Putnam (b. 1835), d. unm., and thence to her cousin Charles Lowell (1855 – 1905), who in 1885 m. Beatrice Kate Hardcastle (about 1852 – 1932).5 By descent to their daughter Mary Beatrice Lowell (b. 1888) and Frederick Southgate Bigelow (1871 – 1954), m. 1915,6 and thence to her brother Alfred Putman Lowell (1890 – 1954) and Catherine Hay Bowles (1890 – 1969), m. 1915,7 by descent to the donor.
Gift of Frances Lowell Hunsaker, Beatrice Hardcastle Magruder, and Christina Lowell Brazelton in memory of their father Alfred Putnam Lowell