Three saurians effigy pendant

Macaracas or Parita
A.D. 700–1550


Object Place: Azuero Peninsula, Panama

Dimensions

2.5 x 4.8 cm (1 x 1 7/8 in.)

Accession Number

1971.783

Medium or Technique

Gold

On View

Ancient South America Gallery (Gallery LG33)

Collections

Americas, Jewelry

Classifications

Pendants

Cast gold pendant of three conjoined saurians (lizards or crocodiles), with upraised arms and widely splayed legs. Concave belly areas originally held inlays (likely of stone). Each saurian has a suspension ring at the back of its neck.

Provenance

After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)

NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated by Landon T. Clay