Totsuka: Motomachi Fork (Totsuka, Motomachi betsudô), first version, from the series Fifty-three Stations of the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsugi no uchi), also known as the First Tôkaidô or Great Tôkaidô
「東海道五十三次之内 戸塚 元町別道」
about 1833–34 (Tenpô 4–5)
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 245, horizontal ôban #55.06
Horizontal ôban; 25.2 x 36.9 cm (9 15/16 x 14 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
No. 06 in the series, first version; co-published by Hôeidô and Senkakudô.
First version, with man dismounting from horse: 06.1339, 11.2166, 11.23084, 11.38931, 11.38932, 11.41824, 21.5006, 2009.2411.6
Second version, with man mounting horse: 11.21128, 21.5007, 21.5008
Censor's seal: kiwame
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection