Tsu Brigade, Ninth Group (Kubangumi): (Actor Nakamura Fukusuke II as) Tsunagorô, from the series Matches for the Kana Syllables (Mitate iroha awase)
「み立いろはあわせ」 つ 「九番組」 「綱五郎」 二代目中村福助
1866 (Keiô 2), 7th month
Artist Toyohara Kunichika (Japanese, 1835–1900), Other artist Satomi Tachô (Utagawa Yoshikane) (Japanese, 1832–1881), Publisher Ebiya Rinnosuke (Kaijudô) (Japanese), Blockcutter Matsushima Masakichi (Hori Masa) (Japanese)
Vertical ôban; 35.4 × 24.5 cm (13 15/16 × 9 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
The complete series of 48 sheets plus title page: 11.40423 to 11.40471.
The series title refers not just to the letters of the kana syllabary but to the firefighting brigades of Edo, which were organized into 48 groups to the west of the Sumida River, each designated by a single kana syllable (with 16 additional groups to the east of the river, not included here). In naming the fire brigades, the syllables Hi, He, Ra, and N, because they suggested words with bad implications, were replaced by the characters for Hyaku (100), Sen (1000), Man (10,000), and Hon respectively.
The brigades were further organized into larger groups numbered from one to ten, leaving out the bad luck numbers 4 and 7, for a total of 8 groups; each group included four to nine brigades.
On the title page for the series, each background square lists the brigades in one of the groups and the kabuki characters shown in the individual prints, whose names start with the same syllables as the respective brigades.
Kunichika hitsu (on main image); Tachô hitsu (on title panel)
Censor's seal: Tiger 7 aratame
Blockcutter's mark: Matsushima Hori Masa
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection