Two-handled drug jar
Object Place: Italy
Height: 23.5 cm (91/4 in.), diameter: 12.7 cm (5 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed earthenware (maiolica) with zaffera in rilievo decoration
Italian Renaissance Gallery (Gallery 206)
A two-handled drug jar made for the Florentine hospital of Santa Maria Nuova. Ovoid body with two handles, decorated with manganese and cobalt blue, standing in relief on the surface.
Possibly made in the workshop of Giunta da Tugio or of Maso and Miniato di Domenico, Florence. The emblem of the hospital of Santa Maria Nuova, a green and purple crutch, is painted on the handles.
Painted on each handle of this jar is a crutch, emblem of the Florentine hospital of Santa Maria Nuova, for which the jar was made. (Master Site Plan 2D02, 2003)
Made for the Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova, Florence, Italy. By 1885, with George B. Upton [see note 1]. 1923, bought by the MFA for $25. (Accession date: June 7, 1923)
 Lent by George B. Upton to the MFA on May 29, 1885 (MFA Loan 954 No.1).
The Arthur Mason Knapp Fund