Urn

English (London)
1795–96
Marked by Peter Bateman (1740–1825), Marked by Ann Bateman (1748–before 1813)


Object Place: Europe, London, England

Dimensions

52.5 x 32.4 cm (20 11/16 x 12 3/4 in.) Weight: 3,614.6 gm (116 oz 4 dwt)

Accession Number

1970.632

Medium or Technique

Silver

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Silver

The urn-shaped vessel rests on a square molded base with four feet. The molded lower section of the base is formed of seamed sheet, with separately worked feet. The spool-shaped central section is raised and joined to the plinth with a molded rib. At the four corners of the plinth are bright-cut rosettes, and around the circular section is a border of scrolled ornament. The body of the vessel is raised from a sinlge sheet and chased with fluting at the base. Around the rim is a border of brigh-cut scrolls against a striated ground. The spout is cast in two pieces and is reeded. It is fitted with a spigot mounted with an ivory finial tinted green. The high reeded handles have leaves at the base and fan out into acanthus leaves at the juncture with the body. The attachment of the spout to the body has been reinforced with a disk soldered into the interior, and there is solder at the base of the interior suggesting that a mount for a heater has been removed. The high domed cover is fitted with a bezel and is decorated with fluting on the domed section and bright-cut border around the reeded rim. The finial is an elongated sphere, with acanthus and fluting.

Inscription

Engraved on front, in monogram, IMP.

Markings

On the underside, in corners, maker's mark PB over AB (Grimwade 2140) (repeated on bezel of cover and on spout); lion passant (repeated on bezel of cover and on spout); leopard's head crowned; date letter u (repeated on bezel of cover and on spout); sovereign's head (repeated on bezel of cover and on spout)

Provenance

By 1916, Mrs. Charles E. Cotting, Boston; 1970, year-end gift of Mr. Charles E. Cotting to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1971)

Credit Line

Gift of Mr. Charles E. Cotting