Object Place: Loschitz
Height 13.3 cm (5 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Vase, earthenware, dark red, rough -spotted with black. Flaring sides from uneven flat base to shoulder with eight heavy loops; tooling above and almost cylindrical neck.
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; October 27, 1963, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1965)
 According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (October 25, 1963; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the vase in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful.
With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson