Vase from Service des plantes de la Malmaison
Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France), Decorated by Philippe Parpette (active in 1755–1757, and 1773–1806), and Jacques-Nicolas Sisson (active 1795-1845), and Gilbert Drouet (active 1785-1825), Gilder Charles-Marie-Pierre Boitel (active 1797-1822), and Antoine Gabriel Boulemier active 1803-1842), Decoration designed by Pierre- Joseph Redouté (French, born in Flanders, 1759–1840)
Overall: 21 x 26.4 cm (8 1/4 x 10 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain with colored enamel and gilded decoration
Out on Loan
On display at Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, January 23, 2018 – May 13, 2018
Incised underneath: date mark for 1804/05.
March 28, 1805, delivered to Joséphine Bonaparte (b. 1763 - d. 1814), Empress of the French, Château de Saint-Cloud [see note 1]; April 1806, given by Joséphine to Stéphanie Louise Adrienne de Beauharnais (b. 1789 - d. 1860) and Karl Ludwig Friedrich von Baden (b. 1786 - d. 1818), Baden-Baden, Germany [see note 2]; until about 2000, by descent within the family. Private collection; 2001, sold from this private collection through Lignereux, Zurich, to Mr. and Mrs. Henry R. Kravis, New York; 2001, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Henry R. Kravis to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 23, 2001)
 A 116-piece dessert service, of which the MFA owns 14 pieces (2001.240 - 2001.253) was delivered to Joséphine ten days after it entered the Sèvres sales room. It was later transferred from the Château de Saint-Cloud to that at Malmaison, near Paris.  The service was a gift to Stéphanie upon the occasion of her marriage to Karl Ludwig Friedrich von Baden. Stéphanie de Beauharnais was the daughter of the first cousin of Empress Joséphine's first husband, Alexandre de Beauharnais.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Henry R. Kravis