Wedge-shaped plaque

Coclé
A.D. 700–1520


Place of Origin: Coclé Province, Panama, Sitio Conte area

Accession Number

1971.1096

Medium or Technique

Gold alloy

On View

Ancient South America Gallery (Gallery LG33)

Collections

Americas, Jewelry

Classifications

Jewelry / Adornment

Hammered gold wedge with three sets of four tiny perforation holes for tying together as a collar-like necklace or similar kind of body adornment. One of twenty-five (see 1971.1092-1971.1116).

Provenance

After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)

NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.

Credit Line

Gift of Landon T. Clay