Ya Brigade, Fifth Group, Kôjimachi: Actor Seki Sanjûrô III as Naosuke Gonbei, from the series Flowers of Edo and Views of Famous Places (Edo no hana meishô-e)
「江戸の華名勝会 や 語番組」 「麹町」 「直助権兵衛 関三十郎」（三代目）
1863 (Bunkyû 3), 11th month
Edo-Tokyo Museum, Edo kabuki (1995), #4-16
Vertical ôban, creped; 20.3 x 14.8 cm (8 x 5 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper, creped
Not On View
Forms the third sheet (from right to left) of a tetraptych showing actors in the play Yotsuya Kaidan, with images from utsushi-e (magic lantern slides) above.
Sheet 1 (R): 11.45396.9 (creped, in album)
Sheet 2 (CR): 11.42509, 11.45396.10 (creped, in album)
Sheet 3 (CL): 11.42510, 11.45396.11 (creped, in album)
Sheet 4 (L): 11.45396.12 (creped, in album)
The term “flowers of Edo” (Edo no hana) can refer, among other things, to fires. The title panel for each print in this series shows the lanterns and identifying standard (matoi) for one of the brigades of firefighters (hikeshi) assigned to various districts. On the west side of the Sumida River were 48 brigades named for the symbols of the kana syllabary and grouped into 8 numbered groups (1 to 10, minus the bad-luck numbers 4 and 7). On the east side of the river, brigades were numbered and assigned to directional groups. Outlying districts were covered by special brigades, here designated “extra” (bangai). Each title gives the name or number of a brigade, its group, and its district, followed by the kabuki scene chosen to match it.
Toyokuni ga, in toshidama cartouche (bottom right); Tozan ga (above); Seisei Kyôsai (bottom left)
Censor's seal: Boar 11 aratame
No blockcutter's mark
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection