Assistant Objects Conservator
The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston seeks a full-time Assistant Objects Conservator to fill a 2-year term position to support renovation of the Art of the Ancient World galleries.
- Survey artworks related to the renovations of the Ancient wing galleries
- Make recommendations on treatment, handling, and installation
- Prioritize and carry out necessary conservation treatments
- Fully document all work in writing and through photography
- Perform all work in accordance with AIC Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice, and following departmental standards in MFA’s collections database system
- Carry out research in support of treatments as needed
- Work collaboratively with curators, mountmakers, engineers, designers, and collections care staff on all aspects of object handling, analysis, storage, installation and display
- Perform additional tasks in support of conservation activities in the Objects Lab as needed
- Applicants must have a Master’s degree with a specialization in objects conservation from a recognized conservation training program, or equivalent experience
- At least two years of post-training experience is preferred
- Familiarity with the examination and treatment of ancient archaeological objects of a wide range of materials is strongly preferred, with particular focus on stone, ceramics and metals
- Strong hand skills and excellent written and communication skills are essential
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience with digital photography, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
Application materials are being accepted immediately. For consideration, please submit your letter of interest, résumé, and two letters of recommendation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials may also be submitted via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
The MFA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from diverse candidates.
35 hours per week
Mon–Fri, 9 am–5 pm