Join us online to celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by surrounding yourself with art, culture, and community. Citizens has sponsored the MFA’s MLK Day community celebration for 19 consecutive years—allowing the Museum to welcome more than 120,000 visitors into our galleries to enjoy free performances, tours, talks, art-making activities, and more.
This year’s virtual celebration streams here and on Facebook and YouTube on Monday, January 18. The program, titled “Voices on King,” brings together nonprofit, corporate, and community leaders to share their personal reflections on the current impact and lasting legacies of Dr. King and Mrs. Coretta Scott King. The event also features a musical performance by Danny Rivera and an original poem by poet Porsha Olayiwola.
Featured speakers and performers include:
- Matthew Teitelbaum, Ann and Graham Gund Director, MFA
- Jerry Sargent, President of Citizens, Massachusetts
- Imari Paris Jeffries, Executive Director, King Boston
- Makeeba McCreary, Patti and Jonathan Kraft Chief of Learning and Community Engagement, MFA
- Kim Janey, City Council President, Boston City Councilor, District 7
- Lisa Owens, Executive Director, City Life/Vida Urbana
- Julia Mejia, Boston City Councilor, At-Large
- Rachael Rollins, Suffolk County District Attorney
- Rob “Problak” Gibbs, Artist and Cofounder of Artists for Humanity
- Giles Li, Senior Program Officer in Arts and Creativity, Barr Foundation
- Porsha Olayiwola, Poet
- Danny Rivera, Artist
- Paul Grogan, President and CEO of The Boston Foundation
Participate in Our Virtual Photo Booth, Courtesy of Citizens
Honor MLK with At-Home Art Making
Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day this year by making art with your family at home. Using materials you have on hand, show us how you’re honoring Dr. King’s legacy. And since we’re not together this year to celebrate, don’t forget to use #mfamlkday and share your creation for all to see.