If you would like a printable version of tips, guidelines, directions, parking, and information about lunch reservations, download Preparing for Your School Group Visit (PDF).
Groups whose scheduled entry time is prior to 4:30 pm will enter at the Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance on Museum Road, around the corner from the main entrance. Groups entering at 4:30 pm or later will enter through the State Street Corporation Fenway Entrance on the Fenway.
Additional entry information will be provided in the confirmation e-mail you receive from MFA Group Sales, and detailed information about transportation and parking is below.
Before you arrive, divide students into small groups to streamline your entry. For all groups, there must be at least one adult chaperone per 10 students.
Bring your e-mail confirmation from MFA Group Sales and an accurate count of students and chaperones.
If you have questions regarding accessibility, call 617-369-3189 or e-mail email@example.com.
Because the Museum welcomes so many groups, plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled entry time. Boston traffic is unpredictable, especially during rush hour on a weekday.
If your group is running late for a guided tour, please call MFA Group Sales at 617-369-3310 as soon as possible. Tour length may need to be shortened if you arrive late for a guided tour. If you’re more than 30 minutes late for a guided tour, the group will be admitted for a self-guided visit, and each chaperone will be provided with a map and visit suggestions.
Groups typically cannot be admitted prior to their confirmed entry time. If your group arrives early, please have a teacher or chaperone enter the Museum to proceed with check-in and have your group wait on the bus. If your group is extra early, you are welcome to look at the sculptures outside on the Museum grounds and at the Japanese Garden (open seasonally), all of which can be accessed without entering the Museum.
Upon arrival, the group will stay outside or on the bus while the group leader enters for check-in and payment (if applicable). Designate a second chaperone to be our primary contact for the group while they are outside.
A staff member will greet your group, share Museum policies, and distribute maps and a handout with key info to chaperones.
Large bags, backpacks, and coats will be placed in bins labeled with the group’s name and stored at the Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance. You may carry medical bags by hand after they have been tagged.
If you made a lunch reservation in advance or if you’ll be eating outside, you can drop your packed lunches in the separate bin provided. (See Lunch information below.)
Once a staff member brings you inside and you’re divided into your smaller groups, you’ll be set to enjoy your visit!
If you came by bus, leave your belongings there before you go into the Museum. Large bags, backpacks, and coats will be placed in bins labeled with the group’s name and stored at the Schools and Groups Entrance. The Museum has a limited number of bins available for groups to check coats and other belongings. All parcels, umbrellas, and bags larger than 11 x 15 inches must be left in a bin. You may carry medical bags by hand after they have been tagged. Laptop computers, cameras, and other valuables cannot be checked. The Museum assumes no responsibility for any lost or stolen items.
The Lost and Found is located in Sharf Visitor Center. You may also contact Lost and Found at 617-369-4296.
Planning a lunch break? Note that indoor lunch space is only available with advance reservations.
- Make your reservations as early as possible—times and space are limited. Lunch table reservations are not available during the summer or on the weekends.
- If you didn’t reserve your lunch space when you reserved your trip, contact MFA Group Sales at 617-369-3310 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see if space is available.
- Due to limited seating, the Museum’s Garden Cafeteria cannot accommodate groups.
- If the weather allows, all groups are welcome to eat outside on Museum grounds free of charge. Unfortunately, no sheltered outdoor spaces or additional indoor facilities are available during the winter months or inclement weather.
- Indoor lunch space costs $40 per half hour and can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. Larger groups need to reserve multiple time slots.
- Packed lunches only, please. After check-in and before you enter the Museum, you can drop off your packed lunches in the bin reserved for your group.
- The reserved lunch space is in Druker Family Pavilion, Room 159. A Museum staff member will deliver your group’s lunch bin by the time of your reservation.
- At the end of your lunch, please dispose of all trash. A Museum staff member will return your bin to the Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance.
- Please be prepared to depart the Druker Family Pavilion at the end of your 30-minute lunch reservation as the space might be reserved by a group directly after yours.
Getting to the Museum
The Museum is easily reached by bus, car, or public transportation. For general directions to the Museum, visit Getting Here.
Please keep in mind that buses are not allowed on Storrow Drive.
Boston traffic is unpredictable, especially during rush hour on weekday mornings. Remember to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled start time.
When using GPS to navigate to the Museum, make sure to use the full address and zip code:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
The Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance is located on Museum Road, on the west side of the MFA, directly across from the parking garage. If your group is arriving at 4:30 pm or later, you will enter at the State Street Corporation Fenway Entrance.
Take the Green Line E Train to the Museum of Fine Arts stop, or the Orange Line train to the Ruggles stop. Take the 39 bus to the Museum of Fine Arts stop, or the 8, 47, or CT2 buses to the Ruggles stop. For more information visit www.mbta.com.
The Museum has limited bus parking available on a first-come, first-served basis for groups with reservations. The bus parking lot is located on Museum Road between the Museum’s two surface lots, immediately outside the Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance. The City of Boston has designated the north side of Huntington Avenue between Belvedere Street and Massachusetts Avenue for bus parking.
The Museum has three paid parking options for cars and vans. The entrances to all three parking areas are located on Museum Road. The parking lots offer close and convenient parking for the Linde Family Wing Schools and Groups Entrance. Drivers can receive the member parking rate by presenting their confirmation letter or chaperone sticker to a parking attendant in the Museum Road Garage office before paying upon departure.