The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston seeks engaging and personable individuals to serve as Gallery Hosts. Gallery Hosts will be stationed in galleries to welcome, invite and encourage visitors to explore our collections.
The Gallery Hosts connect Museum audiences with the challenging and powerful works throughout the halls of the MFA and help facilitate close looking, critical thinking, conversation and wayfinding.
This pilot program will provide an excellent opportunity to develop career experience and a deeper connection to art. You do not need any prior museum or art history experience!
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Complete paid 2-day training led by MFA staff
- Commit to 6 hours per week; shifts are 11 am to 2 pm
- Assist school groups and visitors with wayfinding
- Answer visitors’ questions and provide connections to the collections
- Willing to review information about gallery objects (using MFA audio guides)
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Hosts are encouraged to stay abreast of museum activities in order to help visitors
- The program is open to all people over the age of 16
Benefits include behind-the-scenes access, one-on-one mentoring, learning how museums work from the inside, access to MFA resources, participation in public programs and openings, Museum discounts, free admission and access to a network of art professionals and enthusiasts.
This is a pilot program that is grant-funded and will run through June 2020. We will evaluate the program’s effectiveness and continue beyond June 2020 pending funding and proven merits of the program.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
6 hours per week
11 am–2 pm